Monday, September 12, 2011

What's in a Quiche?

It's official. I'm a grown up.

What makes me say that?

It's not the fact that I've been living away from home for years now. Or that I'm now 2,500 miles away. Or paying my own bills. Nope, none of that. Today. I made a quiche all by myself. Not even Google helped me (which we all know doesn't count anyway).

How does that make me an adult?

Well, it's because I made it simply to use up groceries so they didn't go bad while I am away at a conference. I remember Mom making things because they would go bad soon.  I just thought that was her way of not having to cook more. Little did I realized that it takes MORE ingenuity to come up with something out of what you have, rather than fulfilling the needs of a pre-made recipe. I never really had many groceries in college because I didn't have a lot of time to cook. But now, here I am full circle, having to make a quiche to use up my groceries like a big girl. (Yes, I am aware that making a quiche with leftovers is about the safest thing you can do with leftovers but don't take this away from me. It still could have gone terribly wrong. Trust me.)

In addition to the benefit of using up groceries, it turned out beyond perfect. I didn't have crust ingredients so I buttered the dish and lined it with spinach. Yep, spinach. Then mixed the eggs I had left with leftover ham, mushrooms, more tiny pieces of spinach, and cheese. Plus a little garlic. Popped it in the oven for what I guessed would be the right time and right temperature and FOOD appeared. As you may be able to tell, I'm highly satisfied with the outcome of my efforts.

Every once in a while it's nice to realize that you are ready and able for the tasks ahead of you, no matter how small.

Thank you Lord not not letting me burn the apartment down with my leftover efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment